RGS herald Preserved Rio Grande Southern rolling stock Version franšaise

Back
RGS Home



    Since the Rio Grande Southern had survived until the early fifties, some of its rolling stock could be preserved, particularly by the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club, which had organized charter trains on the Rio Grande Southern as soon as the fourties and had, at the time, already realized the historical significance of this narrow gauge equipment, coming to the end of its era. Today, preserved Rio Grande Southern equipment is found all around Colorado and beyond (even in Tokyo Disneyland!). The most significant concentration of preserved equipment is at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden near Denver.


Click to enlarge
Rio Grande Southern ten-wheeler (4-6-0) #20, built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1899 originally for the Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad.
Click to enlarge
Rio Grande Southern bunk car #01789, dating from 1887 (originally it was a boxcar built for the Denver & Rio Grande), it was used on work trains.
Click to enlarge
Business car Rico used as an office by Rio Grande Southern superintendent for its inspections. It was built in 1882, originally as a postal car for the Denver & Rio Grande.
Click to enlarge
Stock car #7064 dating from 1900 and bought used in 1938 by the Rio Grande Southern from the Colorado & Southern (preserved in its original C&S appearance).
Click to enlarge
Caboose #404, the only piece of rolling stock built new by the Rio Grande Southern, it dates from 1902 and has been used until the abandonment of the railroad in 1951.
Click to enlarge
Rio Grande K-27 mikado #463 (seen on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad). This engine and several others of its class have been used on the Rio Grande Southern (2 were bought from the D&RGW).
Click to enlarge
Rio Grande Southern short caboose #0400, now at the Georgetown Loop Railroad (Colorado). It was built in 1891 by the Denver & Rio Grande.



RGS herald
Back
RGS Home